Affiliate membership of PACFA is seen as a
pathway to further training in counselling or psychotherapy that meets
the PACFA Training Standards, and a way to include other professionals,
who are involved in the counselling and psychotherapy field, in the
Affiliate membership is open to:
- People whose training does not meet the PACFA Training Standards, but who use counselling skills in client support roles
- People who have undertaken preliminary training in counselling or
psychotherapy and who are interested in Affiliate membership as a
pathway to further training in counselling or psychotherapy
- People who have trained in other disciplines and who do not meet the
PACFA Training Standards but who are involved in the counselling and
- Retired counsellors or psychotherapists who wish to maintain a
connection with the profession and to share knowledge and experience
accumulated over the course of their careers
- People with an interest in counselling and psychotherapy
Affiliate members are not endorsed by PACFA to practice, either
because they do not meet the PACFA Training Standards or because they
are retired from practice. Affiliate members are not listed on the
PACFA Register because they do not meet the training requirements for
PACFA registration or, for retired practitioners, because they do not
meet the annual professional development and supervision requirements
Affiliate members cannot access PACFA’s preferential rates on
insurance as they are not endorsed by PACFA for professional practice.
Affiliate members, like all PACFA members, are required to follow the
PACFA Code of Ethics. PACFA may hear complaints against Affiliate
Members for breaches of the Code. Affiliate Members are advised to be
aware of the limits of their training and experience as this is an
ethical matter detailed in clause 4.1.1B of the PACFA Code of Ethics.
Affiliate Members are not permitted to use the PACFA post-nominal or
to promote their membership in marketing materials as these benefits are
only available to registered practitioners. Affiliate Members may
specify in a CV that they hold Affiliate membership of PACFA.
How to apply for Affiliate Membership of PACFA
To apply, go to the PACFA portal Join PACFA page and choose the Affiliate Join Form.
The annual membership fee for Affiliate Membership is detailed in the Schedule of Fees. There is no application fee and membership is renewed annually by 30 June.
The benefits of Affiliate Membership are:
- Member prices of professional development
- Access to PACFA’s expertise in professional practice and ethics
- Opportunities to network with professionals from the counselling and psychotherapy profession
- Being part of the leading professional association for counselling and psychotherapy in Australia