Integrating Motivational Interviewing with CBT
Presented by Dr Raymond Chip Tafrate
Live and interactive online workshop: In this training course, you will become familiar with the basic theory of motivational interviewing, practice ways of responding effectively to challenging client statements, and develop skills for fostering an effective therapeutic alliance at the very first meeting. Emphasis will be placed on fine-tuning your ability to recognize, evoke, and respond to client “change language,” an essential skill for fostering awareness and motivation throughout the treatment process. Stylistic and sequential strategies for integrating motivational interviewing with CBT will also covered.
(1) Recognize the essential features of the motivational interviewing communication style and how it differs from other approaches
(2) Become skilled at engaging reluctant clients and forming a powerful and productive alliance at the very first meeting
(3) Practice responding to challenging and provocative client statements in ways that reduce defensiveness and move interactions forward
(4) Understand the reasons why what your clients say, during clinical interactions, matters more than what you say
(5) Learn how blending motivational interviewing skills with CBT interventions can enhance engagement and collaborative goal setting around self-defeating and destructive behaviors
* All participants will receive a discount code to the following book, which serves as the textbook for the course: Building Motivational Interviewing Skills: A practitioner workbook (2nd ed.). Rosengren, D. B. (2018). New York: Guilford Press.
This event counts as 9 hours of category A CPD for PACFA’s membership renewal requirements
Price: AUD $350.00
Please see website for details including discounts.